DailyAfirmation (dailyafirmation) wrote,

  • Mood:

A (useless) spare key, a meeting kind of day, and some pool with Joe...

Casey planned to leave for work at 7:00 this morning, and I had my alarm set for 7:15. At abut 10 'til 7 there was a knock on my bedroom door.

"John, your car won't start. It cranks and cranks, but just won't turn over. Have you had this problem before?"

I did go through a period of that, maybe a year ago, but as it turned out my battery was starting to fail and it eventually did. So the current one is not very old. I got up, grabbed my keys by the door—as I'd given Casey a spare one last night—stuck the key in the ignition and to both my and Casey's complete shock, the car started right up.

He was going to try it again with his key, but since he had an 8:30 meeting to get to, I said, "Let's leave it running and make sure you get to work. Just take my key. We'll check it out tonight."

As it turned out, the spare key doesn't work. How totally bizarre. I Googled "spare key won't start car" and variations on that, but never got a clear answer as to what might be going on. I'm just glad I found out about this when another key was available.

It was another uneventful bus ride in today, but I must admit, I'm deep into reading Made to Stick on the rides now, so I'm paying less attention to what's going on. I'm sure something'll come along soon enough to be blog-worthy. :-)

My morning was consumed with meetings—one for an hour from 9:00-10:00 and another from 10:00-11:30.

I ate lunch in my office—a turkey bologna sandwich and some Cape Code chips.

After two hours of getting a little bit done after lunch, I was in another meeting from 2:00-4:00. That one was about creating a mobile Web presence for NC State, and one of the those fun brainstorming-type meetings where we dreamed about what is possible, but did eventually temper those ideas with the reality of project planning, staffing, and funding.

I caught the 5:30 bus home, and Casey was already home when I got there. He'd been on quite the run—I'm estimating at least five miles, as he ran up to the lake from my house, around the lake (which I know is three miles) and then back. It's at least a mile to the lake from my house.

I put the ingredients of our leftover tacos—lettuce, tomato, beef, cheese, sour cream, and broken taco shells—in the bottom of a large bowl, and then scooped my salad over all of it. Yum, yum, yum.

Casey made tacos again out of his, and he had a side salad.

I met Joe at Flex for some pool and $2 well drinks. Steve H. was there, and he'd met a guy named Scott, who was here from St. Louis for a Genealogy Conference with a bunch of librarians.

After a while, a surprise visit from Carl, Bill, and their friend Frank (whose birthday it was) ensued, and we spent a little time talking with them.

Eventually, after all of them left, Joe and I went over to The Borough for a (close to) midnight snack.
Tags: bar talk, work

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.