DailyAfirmation (dailyafirmation) wrote,

  • Mood:
  • Music:

An interview on 30THREADS, laundry, exercising, grocery shopping, and some free pool...

I spent most of the morning working on written answers of an interview I did with Wayne Sutton (@waynesutton) for the latest video featured on the new Web site, 30THREADS.

The name of the video segment is "A look at two different bloggers named John," for which Wayne basically clipped sound bites from a five- or six-minute interview with me that he recorded on Wednesday. He is contemplating using more of the interview on a blog that he does for NBC-17 called, Local Conversations. I told him I'd provide him a copy of my "answers in full" to the six questions that he asked me in the interview.
So that's what I worked on this morning. These are the answers, that had I had all the time in the world, I would have provided. He is contemplating providing a link to them in the Local Conversations blog entry, if and when he posts it. There's still a chance it won't be used at all, which would be fine with me.

With the caveat that I absolutely hate being on video, here is the clip that's currently featured on 30THREADS.

The 30THREADS untitled show? from 30 THREADS on Vimeo.

After doing that all morning—while doing two loads of laundry "in the background"—Kevin (av8rdude) and I hit the gym. I have absolutely got to do something about my attitude about the gym, as it's become one of "I really don't want to do this today," way more frequently than I want it to now. Of course I always feel, and articulate, afterwards how good it feels to have done it anyway, and that it's done. I need to work on the "going in" attitude. Today's stats:
Exercise Type
Minute Duration

Resistance (Lower Body)


Exercise Type

Strength (Crunches)




Exercise Type
Minute Duration
Calories Burned

Cardio (Elliptical)



I got two bouts of nausea during my crunches, one at the beginning of 5th set of 30 and one at the beginning of the 10th set. The first one was severe enough that I was doing the math on whether it would be closer to step out the front door of the gym to vomit, or if I'd be able to make it to the men's locker room. Not sure what was up with that.

Kevin and I contemplated going out for a late breakfast after the gym, but I told him I had a hankering to try some of the two cereals he brought to the house when he came (click images for product detail):

I tried the Crunch! one, and added some raisins to it. Yum! Yum! Yum!  We also had some perfectly ripe cantaloupe with it, this one Kevin had bought in his last trip to the grocery store. And coffee, of course.

Kevin headed out of town at about 3:00, heading to the mountains where he was going to celebrate his friend Dave's 50th birthday. At about 4:30, I met Joe over at New World Coffee Shop, where we spent just a couple of hours. After that, it was dinner time, and while we were in that area, we went to Fat Daddy's.

I always forget how ambivalent I am about that place. What I always remember after not going for a while is that I absolutely love their hamburgers. What I always forget is that I'm not thrilled with anything else about the food and the place. Oh well. Maybe articulating it here will help me remember the next time.

There was an absolutely incredulous incident that happened while we there. There was a family of four sitting in a booth next to us—mother, father, and two kids. One of the kids, the older one, maybe 11 or 12, climbed up on the back of the booth, which was about 6 inches wide and made of ceramic, and he crawled on it on his hands and knees from front to back, as if it were some kind of balance beam or something.

If he had fallen to the left he would have fallen on his mother. But, if he'd fallen to the right, he would have fallen about eight feet down to a cement floor taking out about fifty Sam-sized display-stacked canned goods, as well as potentially crashing into a sign erected on a pole listing today's special in the restaurant.

Not one indication from the parents that they even noticed this was happening, much less that it might be an unacceptable, not to mention dangerous, thing to do. And it's not like the parents were "distracted," the husband was facing the wife talking to her as the boy crawled along the top of the booth behind her! Incredible.

Joe and I said we were quite sure that if either of us had done that as kids, our parents would have been yanking someone by the neck or ears, and there would most likely have been some lecture regarding the possibly of poking an eye out on that sign as we crashed to the floor to fracture our skull. But we digressed...

I stopped for groceries on the way home, and then met Joe out at Flex at 9:30 to play some free pool. He arrived at about 9:55, and we played four or five games of pool, which was fun. We started off playing very well, but it went downhill from there.

The place was absolutely dead tonight, and I stopped drinking after three cocktails as tonight was 08-08-08/.08 night, and I didn't want to take any chances of getting stopped on the way home.

Right at midnight, I left. Joe was being pestered by a drunk guy who totally didn't get that Joe wasn't interested in him, and it got annoying just to watch even though it had nothing to do with me. I guess I just got tired of sending out every possible body language signal that I wanted no part of the scene, so I did the only thing that I had control of—I removed myself from it.
Tags: accomplishments, affirmations, anecdotes, bar talk, coffee shops, exercise, video

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.