DailyAfirmation (dailyafirmation) wrote,

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Powerless to freeze, a service-learning afternoon, waiting at Helios, and into my defense...

The wind was furious this morning. I thought this tornado weather was forecasted for yesterday.

Twice my power blinked on and off, and then at about 11:15, I heard a very loud pop that sounded like a transformer blowing out. I showered before my hot water got cold, and left the house—still powerless—at about 11:45.

I stopped by the post office, where I avoided a huge line by weighing the envelope containing my federal taxes to confirm that it weighed an ounce or less—0.8 ounces.

An e-mail from Sarah today let me know that my scholarship to the STC conference is for $1000 instead of the anticipated $500.  Thank goodness, because the itinerary I have on hold is about $856.00.

I drove over to Crossroads, where I had a salad bar for lunch at Ruby Tuesday.

I parked back at the Food Lion on Avent Ferry, and I caught the bus to Clark Hall, where I worked for about 4.5 hours on Service-Learning—half of that time in a meeting with Patty and Myra, and the other half in a meeting with Myra and Elizabeth, with Alissa joining in toward the end.

On the bus on the way back to my car, I had the strangest sensation come over me. Sitting across from me, there were two girls and a guy.

One of the girls was very attractive, and I looked at her—nothing—then at this average looking guy next to her whose five o'clock shadow piqued my senses.

I thought, "It's just weird that I feel nothing for this woman, when 90% of men would. How does that happen? It's just a strange way to go through life—sort of riding along on the periphery, and with no good infrastructure to support my reality."

Since I was parked at the grocery store and had my "list" with me, I stopped in Food Lion and bought $85.00 worth of groceries.

I got home appalled to find that, almost 8 hours later, my power was still out. My freezer was not at all cold. I'm quite sure the stuff in there needs to be cooked tomorrow or tossed.

And here I was with a pile of new stuff to be frozen in a freezer that isn't one.

I rode over to Helios, where after about an hour I checked in with my neighbor to see if the power was back on. She had called Progress Energy, was given an "estimated up time" of 7:45, and signed up to be notified by cell phone when our power came back on.

She said she was at the house at 7:35, the power flickered, but didn't stay on. She ran out to grab some dinner, and was at a friend's house waiting for "the call."

Over nine fucking hours without power is redamndiculous.  It's not like we've had some kind of major catastrophe or anything.

Kathryn called at about 9:10 to say that she hadn't received a call from them, but that she had called her home and her answering machine had answered, which means the electricity must be back on.

The electricity was indeed restored when I arrived home. I worked on my oral defense presentation for the rest of the evening—until 1:30AM.
Tags: coffee shops, service-learning, stc

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.