I got my podcast downloads caught up, and deleted the ones I've listened to. All set to go again, whenever I can find time to listen to some.
I spent more time than I wanted to upgrading iTunes, uploading a CD someone made for me I don't know when with "Diva Mix" written on it. I didn't recognize most of the songs, so Joe put my ear buds in and he did "Name That Tune."
With a little help from Google, he nailed all 15 songs:
|Simply the Best||Tina Turner|
|From This Moment||Shania Twain|
|No More "I Love You's"||Annie Lennox|
|I'm Gonna Be Strong||Cyndi Lauper|
|Cry Like a Rainstorm||Linda Rhondstat|
|To Deserve You||Bette Midler|
|Force Behind the Power||Diana Ross|
|Tell Him||Barbra Streisand & Celine Dion|
|It's Not Right||Whitney Houston|
|Whatever You Want Me To Do||Tina Turner|
|Save Up All Your Tears||Cher|
|Heaven Is What I Feel||Gloria Estefan|
|I'm Coming Out||Diana Ross|
I just can't fathom who gave me this CD. Adam and Van are the only guys to have ever given me CDs as far as I can remember, but this so doesn't sound like their kind of music. For one thing, there's not one song on it by Dolly Parton.
slate.com has announced their follow-up on their "corporate euphemisms" contest. Here are some I liked.
These are euphemisms for "layoff":
- She's been urged to be successful elsewhere.
- He's in transition to the competition.
- She's been promoted to customer.
- He's been uninstalled.
- She's on eternity leave.
- I really can't say enough good things about him.
- I could not give this applicant a higher recommendation!
- If you can get her to work for you, you will be lucky.
- To serve you better, we've removed all humans from the bank lobby and replaced them with ATMs.
- To serve you better, we've added a ticket charge to an online transaction that actually costs us less to complete.
The corporate euphemism "winner" was not funny, but accurate, and it's a euphemism for outsourcing: "labor arbitrage."
noun: a kind of hedged investment meant to captures light differences in price; when there is a difference in the price of something on two different markets the arbitrageur simultaneously buys at the lower price and sells at the higher price
I walked around the lake today, and listened to a bunch of podcasts during the hour's time. The Onion Radio News remains one of my favorite podcasts. They're just so irreverent sometimes. These three podcast titles alone, made me laugh:
- Cash-Strapped Suicide Hotline Lets Curious Listen In For $1.99 a Minute
- Crazy Uncle Makes Good Point About Bitch Aunt
- Two-Week Bender Just Flies By
I met Joe at Flex at around 8:00, where we played several games of pool, including two games of cut-throat with Randy, who's "back on the market."
At around 10:00, we walked up to Snoopy's, where we split a chicken-salad sandwich and an order of fries.
Kevin (av8rdude) arrived at about 10:30.
It was George's last night. He's moving to Portland, leaving on Tuesday.