The fact that it was a Sundance 2014 offering with a synopsis that sounded compelling enough, and that Bob recognized the actress Elizabeth Banks (I didn't know her), was enough for us to choose it. That, and being "free" with Amazon Prime, we could always abandon it if we didn't like it.
The synopsisA fatal mining accident sets off a chain reaction of misfortune involving the lone survivor (Boyd Holbrook), a mining executive's lonely wife, and a teenager with blood on his hands.
My thoughts and observations
- There was a good amount of conflict in this story, which is what make stories good. Examples included:
- Between Amos and the union
- Between Amos and his father
- Between Amos and Diana, conflict the transitions into sexual tension
- Between Owen and a lot of people, including Diana, Kendra (his mother), James (his little brother), and "the elephant in his room"
- Between Diana and Bill
- Between the townsfolk who believe/support the union and those who don't
- I thought of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, one of my all-time favorite stories, often during this film.
- Themes touched on in this movie included:
- "Ratting" (Whistle-blowing)
- Greed vs. justice
- Poor parenting
- I gave this movie two thumbs up.
Have you seen this movie? If so, what did you think of it?