I eventually asked him to recommend one, and after reading me the synopsis on the jacket, I approved his choice of Once. As he remembers it, he saw this film at The Rialto years ago and subsequently bought it.
The synopsisA modern-day musical about a busker and an immigrant and their eventful week in Dublin, as they write, rehearse and record songs that tell their love story. ~ From IMDB
My thoughts and observations
- I wanted to like this movie more than I did, probably because Bob liked it enough to buy it.
- I liked the characters a lot, but I didn't care for the music at all, other than the opening song, Falling Softly, which won the 2008 Oscar for Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song, Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová. The other songs were just way too long and loud, and I just didn't get into them. But, for a completely different perspective, read this glowing December 24, 2007 review by Roger Ebert.
- I did love the way this movie ended.
- Themes touched on in this movie included:
- Making a connection before and beyond flirting
- Love of music
- Broken romances and homes
- Cultural differences
- Chasing your dreams
- Family devotion
- I gave one thumb up to this movie.
Have you seen this movie? If so, what did you think of it?