The synopsisA sequel to the 1968 film Funny Girl, it is a highly fictionalized account of the later life and career of comedienne Fanny Brice and her marriage to songwriter and impresario Billy Rose.
My thoughts and observations
- I have seen this movie before and didn't really like it. The best I can say this time around is that it was free to watch (Bob owns it), and it wasn't as bad as I remember it being. However, I'm still not a fan.
- Themes touched on in this movie included:
- Show business pressures
- Pining for lost love
- Leading men with hairy chests (Wait. That was a theme I was exploring, not part of the movie itself. See next movie on the list, The Main Event, with Ryan O'Neal and his hairy chest.)
- Husband and wife celebrities
- The correlation (or lack thereof) between wealth and happiness
- Although I am a huge fan of Barbra, I have to agree with most of the points made in this scathing review of the film by Roger Ebert.
- I gave this movie half-a-thumb up.
Have you seen this movie? If so, what did you think of it?