I'd never heard of this movie, and it was truly bizarre. I spent a lot of time during the entire thing wondering what was going on. For some reason, though, it kept me watching to find out. Did I mention Jake Gyllenhaal? Did I mention that in some scenes he has his shirt off?
The synopsisAdam Bell is a Toronto area History college professor. He is a rather somber man, largely because he is stuck in a routine, which includes a relationship with his live-in girlfriend, Mary. While watching a rental movie, he spots an actor in a bit part that looks like him. He becomes obsessed with finding out about this double of his. - Written by Huggo
My thoughts and observations
- It's hard to say if I liked this movie. I do know that I didn't not like it.
- I wish I'd've been watching it with someone, at times. It would have been nice to confirm that what I was thinking was happening really was—or not.
- Themes touched on:
- Who we really are
- How we arrive at that understanding
- Fidelity and commitment
- I really didn't care for the ending, and by the ending, I mean the very last scene.
- I did watch a 5-minute video about the making of the movie, which was pretty interesting—the mechanics of how they had to film in order for both of the characters Jake was playing to be in the same room together and talking to one another.
- I'm ambivalent about whether I would "recommend" this movie. I wonder if I would've kept with it if I weren't so gaga for Gyllenhaal.
Have you seen this movie? If so, what did you think of it?