Before I started this test last Monday, I did not know that the actual bread part of the bread—as opposed to the crust—is called "the crumb." Did you?
Each day this week, I tasted five slices of wheat bread and then used a #2 pencil filling in little circles on a "bubble sheet" to respond to these statements:
- Before tasting:
- Rate the overall look of the bread.
- Rate the look of the crust.
- Rate the look of the crumb.
- Rate the overall taste.
- Rate the taste of the crust.
- Rate the taste of the crumb.
- Rate the texture of the crust.
- Rate the texture of the crumb.
- Rate the moistness of the bread.
- Rate the sweetness of the bread.
- Rate how you would feel if this was the only bread available to eat in your home.
- Rate how close this comes to what you would consider the ideal slice of whole wheat bread.
- Rate how likely your family would be to eat this bread if you had it in your home.
- Rate how likely you would be to buy this bread if it was available in the store at a reasonable price.
When it was all said and done, today, I was paid $4 per slice to eat 25 slices of bread, and I picked up this on the way out: